Over the last few months we’ve relearned the old adage, building a racecar takes exactly as much time as you have. The car did it’s best to not run after we installed the engine. Here are the list of things we did to try to get it to run well but did not fix it: injectors, injector wiring, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, fuel filter, disconnect and blow out all fuel lines, fuel pump relay, fuel pump wiring, coil, plugs, temp sensor wiring, cam position sensor wiring, ecu, throttle body, air temp sensor. After all that it still wouldn’t run. Out of ideas we just started disconnecting random things to see if we could get it to change how it ran. This was done on Saturdays and Tuesdays over the course of a month. In the end disconnecting and cleaning out the idle air control valve seemed to fix it.
Now that it is running (and next weekend is my driving school to earn my wheel to wheel license) we are down to finishing up things on a list taped to the window. Last Saturday we installed the exhaust and welded in seat rails to mount the seats. On Tuesday we will install a fire extinguisher, bleed the coolant, and test drive it around the parking lot and put it on the trailer. I’m not sure why, but race cars always take as much time as you have. Nature abhors a vacuum.
Our plan is to have fun doing some endurance racing with our civic at our local track, High Plains Raceway. With the hope of an inexpensive rebuild we tore down the motor to discover almost everything had been damaged. Our theory as to what happened is this. On the pistons we found no clips holding the wrist pins in and stamps showing that the pistons themselves were aftermarket. The wrist pins seem to be seized to the pistons and moving the connecting rods on them is difficult. Because whoever build this motor didn’t install the clips for the wrist pins they moved around in the slot and caused extra heat and friction causing them to warp. This caused the connecting rods to overheat and the bearings to melt. Some of the metal from the bearings clogged up the oil pickup causing engine to be oil starved and the oil and coolant overheated. All of this means that the motor is not rebuild-able as we would need a short block or a full rotating assembly.
Delivery drivers always have trouble finding our house and since we are going to run an AirBnB out of it we needed to make it easier for guests to find. To solve this I built a backlit number post. You can read about how I created it over at Instructables.
Rent Scout, the application for searching for ideal rental properties is finally generating reports. Here is the report generated for yesterday. You can see that it is estimating a really high rate of return on properties here in Colorado. I don’t believe that is completely accurate as there are many costs I have not accounted for. Anyway, here is a link where you can download the report:
Rent Scout Report 04/28/2017
I’m working on developing a tool to research properties for their potential as a rental. This is a graph of the 1000 most recently posted properties in Colorado and their list price vs my estimate of their monthly rental value.
Customized my personal macbook with this vinyl decal from Amazon.
Printing “Hello world” is the first thing you learn to do when learning a new programming language. Blogging regularly and wordpress is new to me. I’m doing this to entertain and provide helpful insight into the world or software engineering and rally racing.